welcome

welcome
welcome

Thursday, May 12, 2011

who are we missing?




Sometimes, we find ourselves talking about our favorite blogs and the pups in them as if we actually know them:

"Did you see Miss M's wave trick?"
"Did you notice Gonzo fits so neatly in a car?"
"Maisie's mom is on vacation!"

So it struck us as funny when someone noted yesterday that the landscape outside our balcony is familiar and another exclaim they didn't even realize we had a balcony. We forgot that people follow our lives as well, and notice/remember things. So today when For the Pitbulls ask what other blogs we read, we thought we'd ask you guys, what are your favorites/some blogs we'd love?

Today, Law Student is once again studying from home. I have one final left, and its not until Monday. After 4 straight weeks of waking at 7am and coming home at 8pm I told Dental Student to take the day to finish up work in the lab and study what he needs in the library. I planned to do a half day of work and a half day to get my head on straight.

So after catching up on only the really important email and bills, emptying garbages, and taking a shower, I decided to get my first pedicure since December to "unwind." I left Havi with her usual Kong o' Kibble and left.

So, I was freaked out while walking down my hallway after being gone a mere 1.5 hours griping over a doctor bill I received in the mail (who has now charged me 5 times for the same procedure) when I heard barking. There are a few pups on our floor, and a few are barkers. But Havi is the only pup over 10 pounds, and the bark from a 55lb pittie is quite different than an 8lb Havanese. I knew it was Havi barking. This is disturbing because Havi is not a barker. I know, I know every parent says their dog or kid "never does that." But Ive never said Havi is perfect. But she is NOT a barker. Never has been. She barks only when very scared. So I ran down the hall. I open the door to see Havi cowering in the corner of the apartment, and not waiting at the door. I walk over to her to see whats wrong, at which point she gets up, walks over to her Kong and backs up in defensive pup mode (if I'm not explaining this well, its the stance when pups are about to play when they crouch down on their front paws challengingly). She does this several times, to signify that her Kong is what shes scared of. This isnt the first time Havi has been scared of a random object. Shes did this to Dental Student's finger last week! Is this weird?! Does anyone have ANY clue what Im talking about?!


8 comments:

  1. I always find myself chatting about the blogs I read like I really know the people :)

    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh golly, I used to do that all the time. Like when that scary, scary brown paper bag was laying in our front yard for no good reason whatsoever. (A bomb could have been in there.) The Christmas wreath that suddenly appeared on the wall at obedience class. (Why?) The neighbor's prison guard uniform jacket hanging off their gutter. (Wassup with that?) We are just highly sensitive and perceptive dogs that notice when things aren't quite right, even if nobody else thinks so - we just KNOW better and we say better scared than sorry. Although I have gotten much better with age, the adult boy who still lives here, who I have known all my life, can still make me act like he is a total stranger that I have never seen before. Like when he dances the salsa by himself (huh?) - weirds me out like nothing else! (But it so makes mom YELL at him for freaking me out, BOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is quite common - for young dogs especially as they are seeing something for the first time or in a new way. The "IT" (my step daughters miniature wire haired dachshund) suddenly started barking at the rolled up garden hose this morning - even though it has been in the same spot for over a month - go figure! It's just one of those lovable quirks that all dogs have and go through - perfectly normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha poor Havi! Though MOlly is a scaredy cat as well she isn't really scared of objects just loud noises and she isn't a barker at all either unless Adam plays hide and go seek with her and she gets super excited when she finds him and barks ha. Havi barking at the kong totally cracks me up though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maisie does that sometimes to random things we encounter (a plastic bag in the street, a falling leaf and a motorcycle cover blowing in the wind have all been objects of utter terror) but I can't recall her doing it with stuff she's familiar with. Havi, you are an odd little bird. ;)

    http://maisieme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. buckley does this too! we sort of liken it to the reverse magnet. he seems to zero in on fallen birds nests but treats them like they are radioactive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really, a finger? That is so funny. Maybe she is just starting to really notice things for the first time? Levi is terrified of the hiccups, but that's always been the case! My birds do get freaked out by random things and start flying around. Maybe ghosties?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom can do you one better - she talks to Dad (who doesn't read the doggie blogs) about doggies she mostly only knows from bloggies! (In all fairness, Dad knows who Mango is, and who Honey is and who Brutus is, but still....) As for being scared of a Kong? My silly sister Abby gets freaked out when Mom puts her harness on her, despite the face Abby KNOWS that only fun stuff (walks, daycare, hikes...) happen when we have harnesses on.

    Thanks for visiting our bloggie - we'll be back!

    *kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

    ReplyDelete