welcome

welcome
welcome

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Help

Book 15 towards by goal of 36 books by the end of the year is The Help by Kathryn Strockett.

To be honest, I was resistant to the book at first.  I hate reading a book just because everyone else did.  But my co-worker and the impending movie peer pressured me!  I don't regret it!  I cried through the whole book, even on the train.  The book follows the plight of black women working as maids in the South during the civil rights era.  The story was deeply touching, told from the perspective of a white woman and two black maids.  I especially loved that a white woman wrote the book and her acknowledgements thank her own maid, as well as the disclaimer that it was hard to write from a perspective she experienced.  The book kept me on the edge of my seat, I fell in love with the coldest of characters, and felt as though I lived in their world.  I gave it 5 stars on GoodReads.


Don't forget to be our friend on GoodReads and check out our Widget to the left to track my goal's progress!

3 comments:

  1. I've seen the book at Walmart for the last several months and have looked at it repeatedly. It looks really good but for some reason I just never bought it. Now that I've seen the movie reviews, I'm thinking I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been considering reading this & now you have made up my mind.

    ReplyDelete